This treatment acts to reflexively increase circulation in the feet and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat. It has a sedating action and many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment. This treatment is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections. The wet sock treatment is best if repeated for three nights in a row, or as instructed by your physician.
Sore throat or any inflammation or infection of the throat, neck pain, ear infections, headaches, migraines, insomnia, nasal congestion, upper respiratory infections, coughs bronchitis, and sinus infections.
1 pair cotton socks (preferably ankle socks)
1 pair thick wool socks
Warm bath or warm foot bath
- Warm your feet first. This is very important as the treatment will not be as effective and could be harmful if your feet are not warmed first. Warming can be accomplished by soaking your feet in water that is as hot as you can take for at least 5-10 minutes or taking a warm bath.
- Take a pair of cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so they do not drip.
- Dry off feet and body with a dry towel.
- Place cold wet socks on feet. Cover with thick wool socks. Go directly to bed, walking on feet as little as possible. Avoid getting chilled.
- Keep the socks on overnight. You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning.